Nellie's Nuggets

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Renewal

At the behest (isn't that a great word?!) of my friends Angie and Dusty, I am returning to blogging. The two of them shamed me into it during our Growing Deeper Spirituality retreat in Nashville last week. Thanks, my friends, for your encouragement!

One of the reasons I stopped blogging regularly was because I get so caught up in reading other people's blogs and am so impressed by their thoughts that my own thoughts seem small and insignificant.

Lots of things have happened in our family since I last blogged, but one of the happiest is that we are now awaiting the birth of our fourth grandchild in early May. Our son and daughter-in-law are expecting their first child, and it's a boy. They live a mile or less away from us, so it will be a new experience to have a grandchild that close. What fun!

This week I have been "confined" at home due to the fact that my car is in the shop for repair and "renewing." I have a 1999 Expedition that has been one of the best vehicles we have ever owned in terms of reliability. We have had to do very little with it other than the routine maintenance outlined in the owner's manual. We have a great mechanic that works on our vehicles when necessary, and we trust him explicitly to tell us what needs to be done. Thus, when I took the car in on Monday, I told him to look it over well and fix anything that needed attention. We are coming up on 100,000 miles after all! Yes, I run the roads frequently!

Later in the day on Monday, he called with news of what needed to be done. Let's see, the wheel bearings needed to be repacked because they were almost dry; we needed to have the transmission system flushed; the cooling system flushed; plugs replaced; and new shock absorbers. Whew! It seems like a lot, but considering how little we have had done to the vehicle since we bought it, it's not a surprise.

All of that got me to thinking about what would need repairing if I took myself in for a spiritual check-up. Hmmm... don't think too long about that! Seriously, I really have come to acknowledge that for years (and years) and I have done little more than "routine maintenance" on my spiritual life. Being involved in the "Growing Deeper" program has forced me to see areas of my life that need attention and repair/renewal.

Dry wheel bearings: I haven't maintained my spiritual bearings for the last few years. Getting back into the Word and spending time with God has added the lubricant of his constant, unconditional love.

Transmission system flush: Just what was keeping me going smoothly? There was a lot of sludge in my heart and mind that needed to be flushed out so that I could "change gears" in a more forgiving, loving manner.

Cooling system flush: Ah yes, the cooling system. It needed a good cleaning as well. Sometimes I allowed myself to get way too "hot" about something, bordering on the boiling point. Other times I was so "cold" about things that I refused to involve myself at all. My system needed flushing so that I can have a balance to keep things on as much of an even "temperature" as possible.

Plugs replaced: What was I plugging into all the time? Unfortunately, I was plugged in far too deeply to the things of this world. My plugs were shot because they were connected to the so called power of this world. My plugs have been replaced and are securely connected to the Lord and His power.

New shock absorbers: Without good shock absorbers, you have a pretty rough ride with sometimes unexpected jolts. That's been true of my life for a while now. Even with good shock absorbers you get an occasional jolt. The difference is that you have something to soften it. I needed new shock absorbers. I needed to be riding on the Word of God. His Word and His constance presence in my life are the only things that can soften the jolts of this life and remind me that He will hold me securely no matter how rough the road gets.

My knowledge of vehicle mechanics is quite limited, so some of my comparisons may be lacking; however, the beginning of each new year gives all of us a chance to renew some things. I've found I needed to renew lots in my spiritual life. God is helping me.

What about you? Have you been in for a spiritual check-up lately? Don't be afraid. God can renew/repair whatever needs attention. Trust Him.

I'll do my best to post at least once a week from now on. The next post will be much, much shorter, I'm sure!

And for my friend, Dusty. I would love to get my 4 year old granddaughter together with your 3 year old daughter. They are both beautiful! Here's a picture of my granddaughter.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Well, that was worth the wait! The best part was reading it while I picture your face in my mind's eye. It's been so wonderful to meet you, and I really look forward to a friendship with you that goes far beyond the ZOE program. Thank you for being committed and earnest about the things of God. We *all* fall so short... yet He is all about filling in our gaps.

    I'm so grateful to know and be known by such a God!

    P.S. I'm in total agreement that your granddaughter is gorgeous! I know she will never lack in love as long as you have anything to say about it!

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Dusty and Angie - Thanks for the comments. You are both blessings in my life!

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    That was worth the wait. And it is because of the overall repair/renewal work you ahve been going through that I am trying in earnest now to do the same. And if your friends think she's gorgeous in that shot - they should see amore recent one - and they should see my handsome son - and my other beautiful daughter! :-)

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Thought of you this morning... I am on my way to get my vehicle (Expedition) to the shop for a few repairs! No kidding! My power outlets aren't functioning... I'm sure you can make yet another spiritual application from that! Thanks for planting those seeds in my mind with your post!

    BTW... I just popped over to Sarah's blog! Oh my word... HILARIOUS!!! I might have to start checking her out more often!

    Have a great day, Nell!

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Brock Paulk said…

    Glad you're back!!!

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Glad you're back. Thanks for the blog. Between you and Sarah I'm feeling very convicted. Have a great week.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Hey Nell, when you come back, you come back strong. Great mechanic analogies to our spritual life. thanks for the post.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Paris is such a beautiful girl. She's always reminded me of Julia. Even as a baby, I thought Paris kind of looked like her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home