Nellie's Nuggets

Monday, January 15, 2007

I've Been Tagged!

This one is fun!

Here is how it works:
1) Grab the book closest to you
2) Open to page 123, go down to the fourth sentence
3) Post the text of the following three sentences
4) Name the author and book title
5) Tag three people to do the same


"I find that when I travel, I can easily and enthusiastically practice four offices per day: morning, noon, evening, and nighttime. However, when I'm home, it's a lot more difficult to separate myself from Julie and our three young children to go off and pray. Julie and I have experimented some with involving our kids, and I imagine this will be easier as they get older."

The Sacred Way by Tony Jones

The chapter from which these sentences are taken deals with the discipline/practice of The Daily Office. For those unfamiliar with this practice, it involves setting aside a period of time several times throughout the day to read selected readings of scripture and to pray. It is a part of what is sometimes referred to as "keeping or praying the hours."

I have been doing this for a few months now with the help of The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle. I highly recommend it!

And finally, I tag Angie B., Mary Lou, and Dusty R.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Well! So much for me teasing you about not blogging! Now you're leaving me in the dust! I have only posted once since our retreat time! So your tag will give me reason to get on the ball today!

    I loved your page 123. The Sacred Way sounds like a good book. I have REALLY been drawn to praying the hours since I was introduced to that concept at the retreat. I was sharing with a friend that I really need the guidance from the printed liturgy. It sets up a pattern/a new habit within me. And when I don't have access to a book or online guide, the gravitation toward God throughout the day is still in me, in a more natural way. So I have ordered The Divine Hours & look forward to starting it in February.

    BTW, I found out Phyllis Tickle is from the Memphis, TN area - just 2 hours from where I live. It would be great to meet her!

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Angie - loved your quote from your page 123 as well. If you get a chance to meet Phyllis Tickle, let me know. I would like to know more about her and her own spiritual journey.

    Guess I really have to keep up this blog now - people are actually reading it. Oh my!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home